Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club Ltd. Established 1977

40th Anniversary

Recovering Registration Numbers

Everything you need to know is here.

Please select option.

 ( 1 ) 
The Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club Ltd. is able to process applications from owners who wish to recover their original registration number or obtain an age related plate under the DVLA's scheme.
Presently there is no fee payable by members for this service.
This service is available to non members when a fee of £30 (Thirty Pounds) is payable. 
In both cases we reserve the right to charge reasonable travelling expenses as the DVLA require us, as standard practice, to inspect the vehicle.
Applications will only be processed if the Alpine has been registered with the club.  This can be done by completing the 
a hard copy (Register Form pdf.) and forwarding to the Registrar.
( 2 ) 
In the early 1970s DVLA began to take over and computerise the records of vehicles previously maintained by local vehicle taxation offices. 
This process involved the registration of new vehicles and the "conversion" of the records of vehicles already in circulation. 
Because of abuse of the registration procedures, the computer record was closed for old vehicles in 1983. 
Vehicles which were undergoing renovation/restoration at that time were issued with letters from DVLA. 
These letters explained that the details of the vehicle had been noted and the procedures to be used in the future. 
Until 1990, original registration numbers were only reissued if the vehicle could be shown to be rare or historically significant. 
In November 1990, however, new rules were introduced which allowed vehicles to claim back their original marks on a "non-transferable" basis. "Non-transferable* means that the mark cannot be transferred onto another vehicle, although it can be replaced by a cherished number. 
In December 1991, we extended non-transferability to age-related numbers allocated to pre 1963 vehicles, where it was not possible to establish a link to a specific number, or where the original number had been transferred off.  

( 3 ) 
You must be able to provide a documentary link between your vehicle and the number you are claiming. This can take the form of :
The old-style log book (RF60/VE60) 
(2)A tax disc, MoT certificate or insurance certificate dated 1983 or earlier
(3)Archive or library records.
(4) Other documentary evidence dated 1983 or earlier (i.e. Original bill of sale.)

Original dated photographs are not documentary evidence.

You will need to complete an application Form V765 (available for download from here from or from one of DVLA's local offices). 
This must be accompanied by a recent photographs of the vehicle and either a photograph or rubbing of the chassis number, the current, Registration Document/Certificate (V5or V5/C) or a V55/5 "application for a first licence for a motor vehicle and declaration of registration". 
The V55/5 is available from a DVLA local office or DVLA Swansea. 

You then need to send your completed application to the Registrar. Members see option 9. Non Members see option 10.
The authenticated application can then, either be forwarded to DVLA  or returned to you for processing. 
The Registration Number will be allocated on a non-transferable basis.
The DVLA require us, as standard practice, to inspect the vehicle.

( 4 ) 
If the original registration number has been re-allocated, or transferred to another vehicle then in these
DVLA will allocate a non transferable age-related number to your vehicle i.e. a number that is appropriate for the age of the vehicle. 
If this is a non-suffix or prefix it will also be non-transferable.
( 5 )
You will need to apply for the number from Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea, SA6 7JL. A completed V55/5 (available from a DVLA local office or DVLA Swansea,) and a copy of the renovation/restoration letter will be required plus copies of any available documentation. An inspection is necessary and will be arranged. (I understand the DVLA may make a charge of £25 Ed.)
Provided the vehicle details are in order your vehicle will keep its original number. Numbers assigned under these procedures will be on a transferable basis.
( 6 )
You will be issued with a non-transferable age related plate provided you can proof the year of manufacture. As long as the original chassis plate number or SAL Number is on the vehicle this can be established. If you do not have the original chassis or SAL number then things become a little difficult but proof of approximate age can usually be proved by personal inspection by an Official of the club.

The club will supply a letter (contact the Registrar) after an inspection of the vehicle by us, which
the DVLA require us, as standard practice, to do, with all the details to support a V55/5 application for an age-related number.  
Claims for registration on this basis should be directed to the club's Registrar.

( 7 )
If no dating or other evidence is available to support an application or if your vehicle has been restored or rebuilt using a majority of used parts from different vehicles, it is likely that your vehicle will be allocated a number from the "Q" series. 
This indicates that the origins of the vehicle are unknown. But if new information becomes available at a later date 
then you can apply for a more appropriate number to be allocated. 
Applications for numbers which fall into these circumstances can be made at any DVLA local office.
Note Owners of a 'Q' plate are not allowed to change it for a personalised registration number. DVLA 3/8/2007.
( 8 )
So long as the vehicle has a chassis number or SAL Number, the club can identify the car and will issue a letter, after an inspection of the vehicle by us, (contact Registrar) which the DVLA require us, as standard practice, to do, with all the details to present to the DVLA.
If you do not have the original chassis/sal number then things become a little difficult but proof of approximate age can usually be proved.
The DVLA have tightened up on their requirements for proof of registration. 
Note: As we understand it, it is not possible to obtain an age related plate for a pile of bits, even if the chassis number and engine numbers match and the car has a competition history.
The car must be fully assembled, roadworthy and insured (Refer to Section 14 on the Option list) (use the chassis number or engine number as recognition mark when obtaining insurance) When the vehicle has been accepted by the DVLA and has issued a registration number you may then apply for a MoT certificate.

N.B. DVLA may request to inspect any vehicle before it is registered.

 9 )
Members should send the application and all documentation to the Registrar. See committee list in Horn for address. 
(Please include a LARGE SAE.) This service is free to club members.
However we reserve the right to charge reasonable travelling expenses as the DVLA require us, as standard practice, to inspect the vehicle.
( 10 )
This service is available to non members when a fee of £30(Thirty Pounds) is payable. And we reserve the right to charge reasonable travelling expenses as the DVLA require us, as standard practice, to inspect the vehicle.
Please email the Registrar  for the address to send the application and cheque. (Please include a SAE.)  
Please make cheque payable to: Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club.You may also pay by PayPal. 
( 11 )
1.   If we do not consider the application valid, we will return the documents to you with a covering letter explaining our reasons and also sending a copy of the letter to Swansea.
2.   If all the correct documents are enclosed, arrangements will be made to have the vehicle inspected by an authorised member of the club and a report issued. If the claim is valid, the club will return the documents and report with a covering letter for forwarding to the DVLA.
3.   If the DVLA refuse the application it is returned to you with a covering letter with a copy to the SAOC Ltd. 
If the application is successful,  you receive the documents you sent in to support the application and a new V5. When you want to tax the car, you take that with your MoT certificate and insurance certificate or cover note to your local Post Office, fill in form V10, (see note below) and they will issue your road fund license.

Important Note:-

Since 1st February 2003, applicants who have not received a Renewal reminder for a tax disc or Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) (V11) can only obtain a tax disc at a tax disc issuing Post Office, providing the registration certificate issued states the tax class of the vehicle e.g. Private Light Goods (PLG), Historic etc. If the V5C issued shows the tax class as 'Unlicensed' the applicant should apply to their nearest DVLA local office.

The club is not notified of the registration number allocated by the DVLA  so please advise the Registrar

( 12 )

From the 25th October 2013 the DVLA will no longer photostat copies of your original documents. The original documents and copies of the original documents must be included in the file you send to the Registrar, who will annotate the copies as (authenticated copies) and will be stamped with the club logo, dated and signed by the club signatory. (Registrar)
(If you cannot Photostat them, the club can do it for you.)

The club needs:

Claiming a registration number whether you have documentary evidence or not.

Completed V765.
A recent photo of the completed vehicle and chassis plate.
A completed V55/5 (or V5/V5C) showing the current registration number (if known)
Evidence to link this number to your vehicle This could be any of the following.
The old style log book (RF60/VE60)
A tax disc, MoT certificate or insurance certificate dated 1983 or earlier.
Archive or library records.
Any other documentary evidence dated 1983 or earlier.
All Original documents (See Above)

Insurance certificate. (Refer section 14)
MOT certificate.  (Refer section 14)
Non members. Cheque for £30.00 (Thirty Pounds) payable to the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club.
(LARGE) Stamped address envelope  with either your address to return to you or to your DVLA office. 
On receipt of this the Registrar will arrange for the vehicle to be inspected and include the report and letter in the file.
If no documentary evidence ignore Section 3 (3) on the V765.
   Registrar's address is on this PDF

( 13 )

Will the DVLA accept Heritage Certificates?

Information has been receive (12/09) from the DVLA that it will not accept a Heritage Certificate, on its own, as evidence of an original registration number. The application must still be accompanied by one or more documents as described in item 12. 

Heritage Certificates are available from the Rootes Archive Centre Trust and administered by:

Bob Allan,
Shadewood Farm,
283 Chester Road,
Warrington WA4 2QE
Tel: 01925 267084 (6-8pm eve.)


( 14 )

Insurance and MoTs.

  1. For vehicles, which are reclaiming an original registration number, the DVLA, if satisfied with documentation, will issue a Registration Document (V5) before a MoT or insurance is required. 

  2. For vehicles, which are claiming an age related number, then a MoT and insurance is required with all the documentation before the V5 is issued.

**** It might be wise to insure the car whilst in the process of restoration. Contact your insurance company for fire and theft cover.



( 15 )

Replacement Engines.

The bureaucracy involved with correcting or substituting engine numbers on V5C documents and making minor engine capacity changes on old vehicles was discussed in November 2010 at a meeting between members FBHVC's legislation committee, the All Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicle Group, the Under-Secretary of State for Roads and Motoring, Mike Penning MP, and two senior officials from DofT and DVLA.

DVLA have now confirmed that this policy has been reviewed and that it will no longer be necessary for keepers of vehicles in the

Historic class - those with a date of manufacture before 1 Jan 1973 - to provide evidence to support an engine change notification.

ACE wanted further clarification on the use of the word 'Minor' and went back to DVLA.

We were pleased to receive this reply

The word 'minor' is used in the context that the Federation considered that a change of engine was a small alteration to a classic vehicle.
The requirement for documentary evidence for an engine change was introduced because of concerns expressed by VOSA when assessing kit conversions .
After further consideration it has been agreed with VOSA that pre 1973 vehicles were unlikely to be a source of these concerns and we were therefore able to review the policy.
Documentary evidence to support an engine change for any pre 1973 vehicles will no longer be required irrespective of the cubic capacity.




 ( 16 ) 

I have a V5 issued by the DVLA but has been off the road for some time being rebuilt.

Normal procedures apply. The car must have a MoT and Insurance and make application for road tax direct to the DVLA.

 ( 17 ) 

An application may be re-considered if there are circumstances that were not taken into account at the time of the original application, or if the applicant can provide new evidence to support a claim.
The new evidence along with the rejected application should be sent to the Registrar.

 ( 18 ) 

If your Alpine was built before the 1st January 1960 then the DVLA do not require a MoT certificate to tax your car. However road worthiness must be your first priority. For a full explanation read the letter from the DVLA.

Updated 25-Oct-2017